Thursday, September 13, 2012

BRT: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2)
Title: Catching Fire
Author: Suzanne Collins
Number of Pages: 391
Rating: 4.5/5
Date Published: September 1, 2009

QUOTE
The smell of blood...it was on his breath. — Katniss

SUMMARY
Sparks are igniting, flames are spreading and the Capitol wants revenge.
Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol - a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

In Catching Fire, the second novel of the Hunger Games trilogy, Suzanne Collins continues the story of Katniss Everdeen, testing her more than ever before...and surprising readers at every turn.
(Goodreads)

REVIEW

FFFFFFFFFFF. I LOVED this book. LOVED it. BUT. There were a few issues. I’ll resolve those quickly before I get onto the good aspects of this book. This was another book I read a while back that had the potential to make me go “OH MY GOD WHAT?!” (In other words, it surprised me.)

1.       Katniss...you are meant to be a STRONG PROTAGONIST. Not a girl who’s constantly asking the reader “Which guy should I pick!?”
2.       The first part of the book was ridiculously boring. It took me around a month to get through it. After that I got more interested, but the first part made me seriously consider stopping.
3.       Too many characters mentioned in too short of a time (particularly the first part) and then two “important” characters who are only met once before they disappear forever.
4.       Back to number 1 on this one. Katniss, MAKE UP YOUR MIND. Stop flip-flopping between guys. You’re using them and it’s not very nice.

Okay, up until that point, I was severely disappointed in the book. Then Part 2 started up and I was like, “OMG, EPIC, EPIC!” And then we met SUPER-cool characters like Finnick ( <3 ) and Katniss/Peeta have more epicosity and they totally own at the interviews and just amazingness.

I make up a lot of words.

Anyway, one of my favorite parts of the book was at the interview. When Katniss is wearing her wedding dress and she talks about how it was so beautiful, and she twirls, and I shall withhold spoilers at that point. That was one of my favorite parts of the book.

After that, the tension is on. I can’t describe how hyper I felt when Katniss and the others reached the arena. And the puzzle of the arena (“tick, tock” — Wiress) just AMAZED me. BEAUTIFUL! Beautiful plotting, so cunning. Ahhhh words can’t describe it.

The final showdown confused me a little due to how fast it progressed; it was hard for me to tell who did what. Then Katniss fires that final arrow of fate, and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve imagined the actors playing that part out. I CANNOT WAIT to see that part in the film. (Unless they ruin it, which they probably will.)

You get it. Catching Fire was written just as awesome as the first book...AFTER you get through Part 1. Part 1 is the reason this book only garnered 4/5 stars, due to how drawling it was, how unlikeable the characters were at that point, etc. Except Peeta and Haymitch because they’re always fun.

Hmm, anything else? I don’t think so...except the fact both male leads had a much smaller part. It seemed like they were only there for the convenience of Katniss having a hard time to choose between them. Peeta felt essential in book 1, but not so much in book 2. I’ve never felt like Gale was very...important, either.

Anyway, those are all the thoughts I have to share on this piece of the trilogy. (;

2 comments:

  1. That tick-tock arena featured in a lovely nightmare of mine, once... *shudders at the recollection*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, ooh, hey, hey! You've got an award waiting for you over at the Ever On Word blog! Yay, you!

    http://everonword.wordpress.com/2012/09/16/seven-or-like-author-like-character/

    ReplyDelete