Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Mortal Instruments


First off: I got City of Fallen Angels for Easter, and I about screamed. I love how my parents tell me, "You're not getting anything for *insert holiday here*" and they'll get me: a movie, a book, and candy. No wonder I'm so fat. [Kidding!]

Anyway, within the past week I've reread City of Bones, City of Ashes, and right now I'm rereading City of Glass. (Three hundred pages in one day - that's a new record!) But I just thought that I'd kind of go through the fact you notice so much more when you reread a book. You notice little gestures the characters make, or something different about their physical appearance you might have skipped over before (guilty as charged).

For one, I don't think I really tacked on Jace's personality in the first book as well as I did the first time. I knew he was sarcastic, dangerous, tortured; but I never really caught that it was his way of showing all the love he could muster. That he's the kind of person who finds it as embarrassing to show out of the blue, and chooses to do it through humor instead. I didn't see that Isabelle liked Clary as much as she did, even if she didn't want to. I didn't catch that Alec was scared of Clary, either. Simon was one of the easier ones, but that's because Clary's known him all her life, and Cassandra Clare shows that with perfect accuracy.

Valentine's personality is one of the hardest ones to catch, and that's the idea. He's persuasive through being quiet and observant. Oddly, that resembles one of the characters from my book (although he's only fourteen, and not ready to try and revolt against all that he ever knew). Something else I noticed is that he has a very good mask he uses to mask his emotions and what he's really thinking, and that is one of the HARDEST things to try and write! I know! It shows he's a natural leader.

I've also noticed that I get more ANGRY (emotional) about things when I reread them. For example, in the second book when Valentine has two of the characters trapped on his ship and (insert spoiler here), I got a lot angrier about it this time. Teehee. And tonight when I was rereading City of Glass when one of the characters dies (in the first raid in Alicante), I had to put the book down because I was so mad.

Maybe it's because I understand it more now; I'm not learning as I go. Maybe it's just the effect of the event, or Cassandra Clare's gratifying writing skills. But I've never wanted to reach into a book before (that wasn't my own) and wring a character's neck before until tonight.

I also really looked over the character's descriptions this time, and it taught me a lot with how I looked it over today. City of Glass shows the perfect way to describe old characters and new characters, and that's something I've always struggled with.

Anyway, I'm just having a Mortal Instruments high, so I thought I might ramble about it since I haven't made a new post in a while. I've always enjoyed this series, and the second time through, it's even better!

Ciao! Hope everyone had a great Easter!

---

Listening to: Daybreak - Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete
Watching: Up
Reading: City of Glass - Cassandra Clare
Quote: "Nice, bah. He's gorgeous. You should leave him here. I could hang hats on him and things." "No. You can't have him." "Why not? Do you like him? He seems to like you. I saw him going for your hand out there like a squirrel diving for a peanut." - Magnus Bane & Clary Fray | City of Glass | Cassandra Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment