Friday, July 15, 2011

Fallen by Lauren Kate | Review

Ohey lookie here.

Title: Fallen
Author: Lauren Kate
Published: December 8, 2009
Number of Pages: 452
Rating: 2.5/5

SYNOPSIS
There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce–and goes out of his way to make that very clear–she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her. (goodreads.com)

QUOTE
"Checkmate, bitch." — Arriane

REVIEW
...Huh... *clears throat* So, Fallen...

I looked over a lot of reviews. A lot of them are negative. There's a few that are positive. I don't see much gray area, but that's where I am. I think I lean just a little toward the negative, but I'm enough in the positive that I kind of want to read the next books. Fallen is...a hard book to review, to say the least. I'm sitting here trying to think of how to explain it.

I do like the book. Don't get me wrong. But the characters were sort of...shallow. You never really got to see what was under the skin of any of them, besides Luce and her obsession over the boy who flipped her off, and suddenly he's the hottest guy in the school and she has to start stalking him. Through Google.

I really struggled with starting the book in the first place. I started it on the first day of my writing class, and when I started it, I finished the prologue/chapter 1whatever and had to put it down, and read it the next day. It was extremely confusing. =/ It wasn't so much after I finished the book, but...well, it was just confusing.

Luce: I liked her character. She seemed pretty cool. I was sympathetic with the incident of the fire, sympathetic she was being sent to this reform school (her parents suck. Sorry. Maybe it's just the fact I have parents who wouldn't put me through that). But in the end her character gets sort of whiny.

Arriane: My favorite. The peppy, kickass one who isn't afraid to make her opinion known. I was disappointed when she had her place taken by Penn after the first few chapters. Her, an angel? I liked that. Unfortunately, you don't find out much else. xD Speaking of Penn...

Penn: Another favorite, but not as much as Arriane. The events concerning her at the end of the book did sadden me. A lot. And sort of pissed me off. But there's not much else I can say. You never find out much more. You get the idea she's sort of a nerd, or at least that's what I got; and that's all.

Cam: More confusing than any of them, aside from Daniel. I'm not sure I cared for Cam's character that much, just because he was so damn predictable. Not as much as Daniel, but he's basically Jacob from Twilight. I'm sorry for comparing it to Twilight, but seriously. He's bitter at not being able to have Luce and that's that. He's gonna have it out for Daniel. BY THE WAY, Luce chooses Daniel over Cam. I mean, it's expected, BUT REALLY? He shows nothing but respect for her and is nice to her, while Daniel treats her like crap. REALLY?! The most INFURIATING thing about this book!

Daniel: ...I'm neutral. I'm sort of annoyed that Luce chooses him, of course, even though all he does is insult her and make her feel stupid and flip her off. Masochist much? I like Daniel's character, though. He's intriguing and mysterious, as any good paranormal romance love interest should be. But he's just so rude. And...why do I care how well he jump-ropes again...?

Are there any other characters I forgot? If so, oh well. That's...how memorable this book was. Not so much. It's just a repeat of a lot of other books, the more I think about it. Don't get me wrong: I enjoyed this book. When I picked it up, I couldn't put it down. The final battle had me excited...

Then you don't even get to see it. And you're trapped with an evil librarian. I did set the book down then and didn't pick it up for another hour or two, sadly.

One thing I will note is that, this librarian starts speaking another language at one point, and the way the author describes her is that she's spinning in circles or something...I'm not even sure right now. But it's something like that, and whenever I think of this book, that's all I can imagine now. A lady speaking in a foreign language, spinning in circles and flapping her arms around.

So, in general, I enjoyed Fallen. But I didn't love it. I enjoyed it enough that I'm going to grab the next few books, but I'm afraid it might end up the way The Immortals by Alyson Noel did for me. (In other words, I'll eventually hate it.) So, please don't disappoint me, Lauren Kate! (: >

I think I'm gonna end this review here...there's not much else to say about the book. Oh hey check that out, I actually posted something other than a Friday Five. HOLY CRAP.

---

Reading: The Iron Queen - Julie Kagawa | Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
Watching: ...Nada.
Listening to: Colors - Flow

Watch out for a post on Saturday, please! DFTBA
Quote: "For better or worse, you're stuck with me now." — Ash | The Iron Queen | Julie Kagawa

No comments:

Post a Comment