Monday, July 30, 2012

Buccaneer Blogfest: July 27 BOOK RECOMMENDATION




This seemed like an obvious choice to me with how much I’ve ranted about it on here, so I’ll give a little more in depth detail as to why I love the book so much...mateys... Arrrgh I’m losing me piratey accent. I’m gonna have to walk the plank!! D:

Here’s a little summary of The Book Thief from MY perspective:

A young girl named Liesel Meminger’s life is changed forever the day her brother dies. Her mother drops her off at a couple’s home on a street called Himmel (also “Heaven”). This girl, trapped in the rising and falling world of Nazi Germany, must question who and what she values the most when a Jew comes into her family’s household seeking shelter. The Book Thief follows her story as well as those of others, all who will fight for a place in your heart.

Liesel is only nine when The Book Thief begins, but she’s fourteen by the book’s end. It’s sort of like a coming-of-age story, but in a way it’s also not. It just follows how she matures and how she deals with everything thrown her way, and how she escapes the horrors of everyday Nazi Germany life with words.

Here’s a basic list of why I love the book:

1.       Her escape through words is really inspirational.
2.       The friendship she forms with such a big variety of people is also inspirational.
3.       The symbolisms of several different things in the book are breathtaking.
4.       Markus Zusak’s writing style is different, using a lot of metaphors and choppy sentencing, and the book has a voice unlike that of I’ve ever read. It’s fantastic, but I’ll understand that some people have trouble not liking it as much. I just think it’s fantastic though, very enthralling.

There is an enormous cast of characters and the author keeps you interested in all of their stories, keeps them all balanced. It’s hard to get confused at any point in this book, as everything is explained bluntly.

The book does have a lot of historical references that you DON’T HAVE TO KNOW, as they’re only a small part of the book. I think they’re just little phrasing structures so that people who like to know where they are, well, know where they are. It was interesting knowing what was going on when I learned about World War II in my US History class last year, but it’s not required. (Another awesome point!)

Hm... I think those are some clear enough reasons, so I’ll halt there. I’m so sorry this post is late! I had my birthday last weekend, so I lost track of time and completely forgot to do any blog posting. Catching up now! Thanks for checking in and staying with me, mateys. Off to check out your own ports soon enough and what wares you have on display!


No comments:

Post a Comment