Monday, July 30, 2012

Buccaneer Blogfest: July 30 SOCIAL MEDIA



My thoughts on social media, ye lilly-livered scallewags!

...

Well, it’s taken me a long time to even figure it out, actually.

Here’s the first thing anyone should know about it... It takes WORK. Indeed, it’s not just something you set up and let it do as it will. It doesn’t work that way, sadly! You don’t just build up a blog and all of a sudden people flood to it. Hehe, as amazing as that would be.

Social media takes a lot of time and a lot of work. But, in the end, it can be worth it. When I first started blogging, I had a hell of a time with it. I was boring, I thought the whole thing was boring... But then I met a bunch of people, including several from this exact bloghop, who have made it SO worthwhile. It’s so much fun to post things and see people’s feedback, as well as to go around the blogging seas and see what they think of the same topic.

People share their thoughts and true selves on the internet because they don’t have to worry about being embarrassed by people they know. Some people do feel apprehensive about telling who they are, but that’s okay. It depends on the person.

One of my hardest quirks about social media is that I have a hard time forcing myself to go sailing around and looking at everyone else’s posts. One, because my laptop is SO OH-MY-GOD SLOW at loading other people’s blogs. Two, because I’m a naturally selfish person... I like things to pertain to me. Yes, the dirtiest truth you’ll ever know about me, but I just pride myself on being able to admit it. I struggle with it, but social networking might help remedy that!

... *Goes to the corner of shame* Please forget you know that dirty truth. ):

Okay... Onward!

Social media is a place where you can connect with people all over the world who have the same interests as you, who want to help you, and who will be willing to hang with you throughout the hardest part of the storm. They may not be there in real life, but they are still friends. As I do with my friends on my writing website, we pretty much have tea parties together. (:

If you’re willing to put in the effort, social media can be an amazing and fun thing. If you get into it expecting it to be easy-peasy, think again. I’m learning this truth, and seeking out how to understand it fully and take advantage of it. I’m doing so successfully so far, and I sincerely hope others who have been in the same situation as I find out the truth as well. (:



6 comments:

  1. You're right - making the most of social media can be a real time-consuming pain in the buttocks! :-) But the rewards are grand, and making friends with whom you can experiment and grow in your Interwebbing is so totally worth it.
    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! I've met so many amazing people and I hope I get to meet more along this grand journey.

      Delete
  2. "Well!" Will sniffs, nose in the air. "Now that we know that shameful, filthy truth, mayhap we'd best take our business elsewhere!"
    The day I start boycotting selfish people, Scarlet, is the day I fully ignore *you*.
    "...On the other hand (I was totally about to say, if you'd just let a person get a word in, once in a moon), what's a little selfishness among friends? We love you, Kendra! And I, for one, will ever be there for you and Ashley in fictional life -- which is, after all, exactly like real life for we fictional folks who have to real live it."
    Profound.
    "I know I am. I smell nice, too."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley crosses her arms. "If I could I would SO take my business elsewhere."
      Really?! Who else would tell your story, huh?
      "Someone!"
      ...Yeah. Nice try! Thank you Will and Danielle, you're so thoughtful. <3
      "Oh look, she's wallowing in the attention."
      STFU
      At that point, Midori pokes her head in. "I think he smells nice too," she says before getting promptly shoved out.

      Delete
  3. You are so right! IT can be done, but it sure takes a lot of time. Roll up your sleeves and dig your hands in the dirt. It's work that's for sure. But it most certainly reaps benefits.
    I think I am rambling and not making any sense, so I'm off to rest:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make enough sense to me as I'm half asleep reading this. (; The benefits are plentiful and loveable and awesome!!

      Delete